Miniatures


Why are things that are small so magical?

This is the Abominable Snowman, standing on the window sill in my den. He, as you probably know, is the villain of Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer, narrated by Burl Ives as a snowman. It is one of my all-time favorite, on-once-a year, you can't watch it any other time, television shows. That, and the Charlie Brown Christmas special that keeps cutting to the scene of all the kids dancing during rehearsals for the Christmas pageant. I'm a sucker for it; each time I see PigPen raising a cloud of dust, others with arms akimbo or feet shuffling, the same little dance repeated every few seconds so that the animators didn't have to create more images, I laugh.

I don't have a large collection of miniatures. But I do like this guy. He's so small and so large at the same time. And wouldn't it be nice to grimace like that the next time someone looks cross-eyed at you?

Comments