almost done with More than Circular


This is my Saturday afternoon. A cup of tea, trying to finish the Easy Lace Poncho (over in the corner of the couch), and resisting the urge to bind off More than Circular.

I'm almost done with what is shawl #2 out of 10 in the series of shawls I'm making for my staff.

Last year I made scarves for everyone. I started knitting in November and finished up sometime in February. In between, I made myself the Shetland Triangle Shawl from Wrap Style. Because I am lucky enough to work with smart, creative women, they noticed the shawl and quickly planned my next project: wraps for everyone on the staff.

I don't mind. I like knitting for other people. I told them they were on, as long as no one expected to have her shawl by a certain date. I'm not knitting wildly in preparation for Christmas, just trying to get one done every month or so.

A project like this also helps you to get out of a color rut. I realized, a few months ago, that everything I'd knit was blue: sky blue, gray blue, navy blue. Now I'm knitting for tall and short people, brunette or auburn or blonde, light skinned and dark skinned.

Most crucial variable: does she run hot or cold? You all know what I'm saying here: are you the person turning down the thermostat at work or home or the one putting on an extra sweater?

Shawl #1 was the Kiri shawl from All Tangled Up for a cold person. I used Debbie Bliss Alpaca Silk in a grass green color, overestimated the amount of yarn needed, and ended up with a very large shawl for someone who's about 5'2". But it seems to be okay, and she can wrap herself in it while sitting on the couch with her daughters or standing outside chatting with the neighbors. I'll post a picture when she comes back from vacation.

I hope to finish More than Circular this week. I'm stuck at the moment. Only one ball of my handdyed yarn left, and not enough lace experience to jury rig a way to bind off or edge it on my own. I went over to my FYS for advice. The lace expert wasn't in, so I bought an amazing apple tart, looked at some Debbie Bliss silk in just the right shade of blue (I know, but that's what the recipient asked for), bought a Noni pattern for a perfect felted baguette, and lime green Lucite handles to go on it. Knowing I had some grey Cascade 220 in my stash, I resisted temptation to buy the dark brown and pistachio yarn or the pink for the felted flowers decorating the bag in the picture.

Monday morning I'll go back and get some advice from the lace expert. In the meantime, I'm trying to continue my effort to learn patience by not just going ahead and binding off at row 74.

I will not bind off. I will not bind off. I will not bind off.

Comments

FairyGodKnitter said…
Don't bind off, you might be able to work a few more rows before you need to bind off or try to mix in a similar yarn. I hate the "will I have enough" part of knitting.
I love your approach to knitting for others. I get so hung up with self imposed deadlines. I've got two shawls (and 6 other projects) started that will be gifts. I'm not going to give myself any pressure to have them done for particular dates. I keep telling myself that knitting and juggling are two different things.
What shawl are you going to do next? I'm itching to do the Shetland Triangle out of some saffron colored Koigu I aquired a while back - 6 skeins, enough to make it big. But I will wait, I'm going broke buying new needles everytime I turn around.