More than Circular waits


Here sits More than Circular. On the advice of my teacher, I'm going to wait to finish it.

I ordered the yarn today, faxing the order off at about 1 p.m. and placing my hope in a fax-copier-scanner whose operations I have not taken time to figure out. It worked the last time, though, so I'm counting on it working this time. I wish that I could remember where I filed the instruction manual.

Once I receive the yarn, I'll need a few days to dye it, let it sit for 24 hours, rinse, and then dry the dyed fiber. With the first batch, I played with shades of turquoise on one skein; turquoise and marine blue on a second; then added navy to the mix for the third hank. To finish the shawl, which started with the bright turquoise and moved out into the purples and blues at the edges (double click on the photo to see color details better), I'll try to dye the yarn more in the deeper blue and violet ranges.

Last time, it was summer, and the yarn could dry outdoors. This time, who knows? The weather is perfect autumn today, but is supposed to turn rainy and cold later in the week.

In the meantime, I finished the lace poncho in Malabrigo. Nothing impressive about that, though; it was super easy. Yet I continue to fuss. I made the medium so that the little girl receiving it would have some growing room. Now I'm looking at it as it's blocking and thinking, "that looks huge." I could never size clothes for my own kids when they weren't with me, either. I would hold the little pants or shirt up to my leg and try to imagine how tall the daughter was: knee high, or shin high, and where the clothing would hit her. It was not an extremely successful maneuver, which is why I always found it a lot more enjoyable to shop with them than to try to do it myself. I'd rather buy it once than make numerous trips back and forth to do exchanges.

I thought about felting it. But patience wins out. And really, it's definitely time to go back to the hammock and read a Peter Robinson mystery.

Comments

FairyGodKnitter said…
More than Circular looks wonderful. I'm so glad you're going to complete it as planned rather than fudging it. The effort of dying yarn is worth it when you see how beautiful it knits. I'm sure the shawl will be treasured by it's recipient.
I'm actually doing well with sizing when I knit for others lately. Children are hard, when I was actively dressmaking, I would almost always go too big on the first cut for a child. I never had a problem with adults but would have to pin and tuck and say "Now imagine this actually fitting" to my client(usually Mom). It may not of inspired confidence but I always felt like a magician when the dress was near perfect for the second fitting.
What will you knit while you're waiting for yarn?