a technical question

So, I keep reading about something called permalinks. But my anti-analytical brain doesn't want to grasp the concept.

Can anyone (Becky??) explain? I think we've tried this before, but I need a remedial course.

And second, how do I use permalinks to link search engine hits to specifc posts, rather than linking back to the current post? I've rumbled around Blogger Help looking for advice, but everyone is speaking a foreign lanaguage and apparently I need this expressed in small, manageable words. . .

In one piece of help, the blogger said that she uses this code in her template headers:
<$BlogPageTitle$>.
Can I say "huh"? and hope that someone out there can unpack this for me? Unpack is academic speak for huh, by the way.

Comments

FairyGodKnitter said…
"Blogging for Dummies" defines permalink as: A blog entry's permalink is the "index page" link to it's permanent page in a blog. Putting the permalink below each blog entry on the index page makes it easy for visitors to copy the permalink's URL and cite the entry in another blog.
So, when I make your Cucumber and Orange Salad (once I find someone to do the cutting for one handed me)and proclaim it my new best favorite thing, I will refer back to you at your blog address and the recipe at the post's index entry.
As far as linking back to search engine posts, I know how to do this between Google and Typepad (where I blog). I just go into my stat page and hit on any google search referrers and see what they were looking for. With Fairy and God in my blog name, I get some interesting search hits.
Anonymous said…
...what she said. Very good explanation.
Janet said…
makes sense so far. my problem is that when I see a hit on a search engine, say for the Shetland Triangle Shawl on my blog, and I click on that hit, I get taken to the most recent post on Pegotty and not to the post on the shawl.
same for your blog: if I enter Fairy Godknitter on the search part of Google, it takes me to a page that quotes your post on South Haven. But when I click on that, I go to your most recent post, not the South Haven post. Does that make sense?
also, not sure where or what a stat page is. . .I was an English major. . .