Happy New Year

Here's what we did in yoga this morning: we tried something completely new, a bit daunting, involving balancing on our hands in crow pose.

And it was okay. We survived. We laughed. We marveled at our ability to do something that we didn't think we could do, or we observed with satisfaction, as others attempted the pose.

I had very little voice, due to the end round of the flu. And that was okay, too, for the most part. I wanted to chant "om" at the end of class, but didn't think I would have much projection left after an hour or so of talking. So my students carried the load, and that was good, too. The best part of being a teacher is seeing your students grow and flourish.

Toward the beginning of class, as I was explaining my raspy voice, I told the class that if they couldn't hear me, to just continue. "You can peek at your colleagues if you're not sure what to do," I suggested. "Better yet, don't worry, just go ahead and do something. It will be fine."

And then and there, I realized that that was my resolution for the coming year.

Here's wishing you, and me, lots of laughter, good food and drink, and something that you've always wanted to do, but haven't yet tried, in the year to come.

Comments

FairyGodKnitter said…
Your bravery astounds me. Not only could I not do the hand thing (maybe before my injury but not now), the diving thing is a big deal. I freaked out in the resort pool on my honeymoon 15 years ago and while I love to snorkel, it's on top of the water not it for me. Now I'll have to come up with something to challenge myself with this year. Skydiving? White water? Ice climbing?