Swallowtail Shawl, now boarding for Cyprus

Having successfully navigated its way from Chicago to New York City, the Swallowtail Shawl will be boarding shortly for Cyprus.

Originally destined for someone much closer to home. But I have been meaning to make something for the amazing woman who hosted my daughter last year during a semester abroad in Cyprus, and this seemed just right. So, on its way it goes.

Unfortunately, I could not manage to take a picture before its departure that does this shawl justice. Outdoors, at this time of year, not the best background for a brown shawl. And in this arty shot, you can see, I admit, our garbage can.

It's a new one. But yet, still a garbage can.

Here's an effort to pose it over the railing in the upstairs hallway. Brown against brown, again.

One more try, on my older daughter's bed, with the intention here to exhibit the beautiful transitions between the sections of lace, the airiness in contrast with the more dense areas of the fabric, and the wonderfully-peaked edging that scallops and echoes the design of the lace pattern.


I give. It is a shy shawl. My theory: it's waiting to be donned, posed in front of a very blue sea, sun shining on the water, great Cypriot food and wine nearby. Or maybe that's just not a shawl's fantasy?

Here are my notes:

Project: Swallowtail Shawl
Source: Interweave Knits, Fall 2006
Designer: Evelyn Clark
Yarn: Rovings, Canada Polwarth Wool and Silk, 2 ply fingering weight, 823 yd. per skein, color (or Colour): Brown (used about 650 yd. for the shawl)
Source: Stitches Midwest, 2006
Needles: Size 8 Bryspun 24" circular, Size 8 Addi Turbo 40" circular
If I Had it to Do Over Again: I wouldn't change anything. Beautiful yarn, wonderful to work with on a Bryspun (which gave just enough traction), beautiful pattern.

Comments

FairyGodKnitter said…
Beautiful, I love how it looks knit with a larger needle, more substansial yarn. This shawl will be treasured by it's recipient and you will delight in knowing that it has flown so far from home.
Anonymous said…
Your shawl is absolutely lovely. I love your choice of yarn. You must make another for yourself! Have a Happy New Year, and a wonderful 2007.