Swatching for Bianca's Jacket

Watching Noah Wyle in the second "Librarian" movie: The Librarian: Return to King Solomon's Mines. The movie was recommended by someone at work who loves movies as much as I do. A little bit Indiana Jones, a little bit After-school Special, fun, light, and Bob Newhart and Jane Curtin, to boot.

And swatching a swatch for Bianca's Jacket from the Fall 2006 Interweave Knits. First up was Classic Elite Wool Bamboo, but a bit too flabby. Now on deck, elsebeth lavold angora, at rest in this picture in a pool of water pre-blocking.


I was trying to break out of my blue and red rut. One shawl, two sweaters in blue. One sweater, now a second, in red. No browns or blacks or anything else. But faced with the other choices of tan, khaki green, rust, and blue, I gave in to fate and went with the cherry red, sort of a red crossed with the depth of maroon.

The yarn has that halo of fuzziness that I love, but may be too fat for this project. Stitch gauge: dead on, almost. Row gauge: wow, could not be more off. I'm getting 16 stitches and 10 rows to 4 inches, with the pattern calling for 16.5 stitches and 26 rows. Does this mean that the sweater will fit sideways but not up and down?

Comments

Anonymous said…
Yup. For what was supposed to be four inches in length in the pattern, you'll have around ten and a half inches. That's just a bit off. :) Pretty yarn, though.
FairyGodKnitter said…
This means the sweater will be a dress.
Janet said…
Not a bad plan, but since it takes a while for the brain cells to react, this morning I realized that I'd measured 2 inches and remembered to double the stitches, but forgot when it came to rows. Still off a bit, though, so I guess I need to drop down a needle size?