Using Google to Find the Post You're Looking For

A big Aha moment for me! I found the thread that leads to the center of the maze.

The problem: how to get from the hit Google offers to the exact page in the blog that you're searching for.

What usually happens: the first link takes you to the most recent post in a blog, not to the post that you want to find.

Example: Google this term: "the world's most perfect brownies".
What you see next is a list of hits, with the first hit quoting a post on my blog about baking the world's most perfect brownies.
But if you click on that link, you are taken to my most recent post (in today's case, a post on shortbread, not at all brownie-like).

Solution: click on the term "Cached," which appears beside the web address for the link. This will take you to a page that highlights the keywords and gives the web address for the post with the info you were googling. Make sense?

Example: Google "the world's most perfect brownies" again. This time, click on "cached" instead. This time you are directed to the post on brownies instead of whatever is the most recent post on my blog.

It's small. And you may already know this. But I've been searching for this info for the last five months in other blogs, Google help groups, and slightly stalkerish emails to a person on the Google help groups who seem to know the ins and outs of blogging much better than me (I regret that effort and will not repeat it ever).

But in a Scylla and Charybdis kind of way, probably no one who really needs to know this will ever find this post.

And wouldn't it be better if I could have used "world peace" or "compassion for those who most aggravate us" as the example, instead of brownies. Ah well. Let it be know that the recipe in the decadent cookbook, Chocolate Obsession (by chocolatier Michael Recchiuti and baker Fran Gage) for Fudge Brownies is almost the same as my Betty Crocker-redux.

Comments