Lunchboxes

I've made it a policy never to carry my red Garfield lunchbox until I've been on a job at least six months. It's something that I feel people need to be eased into.
So I was pleased to wander over to a blog called Vegan Lunch Box, and discover a fancy, environmentally-friendly, plastic version of the Bento box that Asian lunchers use to pack sushi, salad, and other small bites. (I found the blog through listening to an interview on Good Food with the blogger, Jennifer, about her invention of a vegan-friendly version of the Hostess Twinkie.) Pink or blue? Gender-appropriate or throw caution to the wind?

A more adult version here, and supportive of small industry in a needy country. But perhaps too organized for someone who stores jam in her wallet?

My other favorite: a battered rectangular metal lunchbox that is designed to emulate the picnic baskets that Hollywood starlets carried in 50s movies. I found it on my way out of the Kane County Flea Market, years ago, while wandering with a friend and her dad.

What I actually carry most days: lots of unwieldy Tupperware; a fork and a spoon so I do a tiny something to preserve the environment; perhaps a cloth napkin if I'm not too rushed as I pack up, in a knitting bag, with something that I am deluded enough to hope that I'll have time to work on during my lunch break; a book, a bottle of water'; a piece of fruit for lunch desert and a piece of fruit for the drive home; and other assorted necessities.

Comments