Things to Recommend doing when You Should be Packing for a Yoga Trip in Two Days

Reading your email and discovering that a blog-met friend has offered to send you what sounds like incredibly beautiful yarn for a lace shawl. Shades of pinks and greens, she describes it as reminding her of a rosebush. Lovely, and my first blog present.

Sending your address to the yarn-giver so that she can send the package.

Reading email a bit later, to discover that you'd neglected to include your last name when providing a mailing address. As she indicates, the post office is somewhat persnickety about that sort of information being included. Oops. Send another email, this time with your last name, but neglecting to note when you'll be leaving, as she hopes to get the yarn here before you get on the airplane out of town.

Going to yoga class for the first time in forever. Arriving late as the dog did want to go outside one more time, and then was extremely hesitant about coming back up the stairs from the backyard. If she can get herself to that second stair, it's all gravy. Otherwise, she circles, stares at the steps, and then circles again, until someone calls out encouraging words.

Writing three blog posts with lots and lots of pictures, in hopes that they can be posted while I'm out of town AND will post in something resembling the order of the calendar, instead of inserting themselves willy-nilly between today's posts. I'm remembering that WYSIWYG thing from some Blogger help page, but can't recall if postings work the same way. To wit, if I wrote the posts today and saved them as drafts, will they show up in a big bunch, tucked into today's archives, or present themselves proudly, one by one, at the top of the blog, as they should?

Resisting the temptation to test-post drafts to see how this works in practice. Sometimes you just have to say no.

Shopping in Ulta for tiny samples of shampoo and conditioner and facewash and moisturizer. Thirty minutes later, willing to admit that this type of errand should be much easier. And this is after I attempted to be efficient and hit both beauty-type places in my shopping center, where Aveda was out of shampoo and the other place could not seem to grasp that 4.3 oz. bottles do not meet the airline specs of 3 oz. This experience did come in handy as I was training a new sales associate later in the day, and was able to use this as an example of the importance of actually listening when you ask a customer a question. The glass is half full.

Buying, well, trading in, my old phone for a new one. Befuddling the young woman helping me because I asked for an explanation of BlueTooth. Further bemusing her by the fact that I could have updated my phone in 2004, but instead waited until 2007. Allowed myself to be tempted by a Katana, with a full-screen camera inside the phone, and a sleek, rectangular shape. Shamed to be informed that my old phone is so old that she was unable to transfer the numbers from old to new, and gave me both phones to take home so that I could manually transfer my phone book. Learned, upon arriving home, from my learned husband, that a katana is a Japanese samurai sword. Wondered what the samurai yell is for lost signal.

Stopped for wild-caught salmon, a baguette, green beans, salad, a pineapple, and bananas. This is food for home, not related to the food for trip that I stopped for earlier: couscous, a chunk of parmesean, a jar of grilled vegetables for bruschetta, some Indian entrees that are ready to be microwaved, and Laughing Cow cheese (refrigerate after opening). Still need to add crackers and peanut butter to my stash, some forks and spoons and a sharp knife, and of course, the jar of jam in my wallet.

Comments

FairyGodKnitter said…
The package is on it's way, the woman at the postoffice said 2 days, possibly 3. If it doesn't get to you before the trip, it will be waiting when you get back. Since the yarn took up only a third of the box I had, I did tuck a few things in with it. Non knitting stuff but still good. Hints : tea and orange. You can guess from there.
By the way, did you know that you are reading one of my favorite books? I even bought the CD version and unloaded it onto my iPod for listening during chemo/knitting time.
As to the dog thing, younger dog does the same thing, especially when it's blizzarding. Elder dog is always compliant.
And at least you didn't choose your new phone because it has a shiny mirrored spot, perfect for use as a makeup mirror. That's what my sister did.
I've finished the first petagon, I just need to find the camera cord to post a picture.
Happy packing, it's only unpacking around here.