Advice from Norah Gaughan about the Cabled Bolero

I'm convinced that there is a way to make this sweater work, or more accurately, work better. Because it has so much going for it: innovation, ease of knitting, great surface texture, a sense of fun, and because I set ridiculously high standards for myself, and why should my knitting be any different than everything else that I do? (Full disclosure: okay, I honestly haven't put that same effort into housekeeping, but I like to think that is a signature of my feminism. Or laziness.)

So I wrote to Norah Gaughan, the designer, hoping that she might be able to steer me in the right direction. In particular, I was wondering if the cover photo was styled so that the sleeves appeared to be more fitted than they actually are, and if the pattern has a mistake, in that I can't find anyplace where it specifies seaming the sleeves and sides.

Norah Gaughan is a very talented and a very gracious person. And she allowed me to post her advice about the cabled bolero on my blog, so here it is:

Dear Janet,

Thanks for your question. The smallest size is the one shown on the model she’s very small and as far as I know no pinning was necessary. The yarn you are using may give different results from the Berroco Pure Merino I used. This is not a tight garment – it’s a shrug like garment. If you need each pentagon to be smaller you could start with 2 fewer stitches per side. The staff at Vogue Knitting edited my instructions so any questions need to go to them. Here’s the link:
http://www.vogueknitting.com/contact.php
Best Regards,
Norah

Hope this helps any other knitters playing with this pattern. I haven't emailed the staff, yet, because this morning is going to be for knitting and watching a DVD of Project Runway, Season 2, and not falling into the black hole of blogging and email.

Comments

Livvy said…
I finished my cabled bolero, or "capecho" and the pictures are at www.njivy.org. It is modified to be a good sweater-shrug for me, and I hope Norah doesn't mind that! I knew it would need to be longer from the start, and essentially added a half row of pentagons filled in by ribbing in the back. Adding attached I-cord draw it in a bit, as well.
Janet said…
any chance that I can persuade you into divulging the changes in detail!?