A Warning about Sizing the Cabled Bolero

I'm still loving this pattern. But I'm not the only one discovering that it is far from"close-fitting." Here's Elizabeth, at the fourth pentagon stage, debating whether to go back and start over. In her case, she's getting the right gauge but is finding that the pentagons stretch. And Joan, I believe at the second or third pentagon mark, is having the same dilemma.

A comment on Elizabeth's blog advised her that the sweater definitely grows. The writer had tried the bolero on at her LYS, which was hosting a trunk show for Vogue Knitting.

I'm still loving the ease of the pattern, and the defined edges and lovely cabling and the soft halo of angora. But if you decide to try it, I'd warn you to go down a size and to work with a yarn that has little or no stretch in it. I'm thinking about doing another one, smaller, for me, in a summer yarn, perhaps a linen with some rayon content.

Comments