Good. Now go to bed!

A post just because I like the title:

We had a very odd book that we would read to our daughters when they were young. Not the oddest children's book that I've encountered, which would be either The Lonely Doll or a book that I remembered being titled Nuggy Worple, though a search through Google comes up with nothing close. What I do know is that I purchased this eccentric picture book as a baby shower present for a friend. The baby who received it? Now a very smart librarian, writer, and traveler.
But this little book, almost as eccentric as Nuggy Worple. Illustrated with photographs of cats wearing clothes. Very vintage-style pictures, and an antique-looking typeface. The plot escapes me at the moment, though I do recall an authoritative parent figure and some misbehaving young cats. But what we all remember about this book was the last page. There, declared, in large black type, were these sentences: "Did you like this book? Good. Now, go to bed!"

The scary thing: all four of us can recite not only the conclusion to this book, but the opening lines of I am a Bunny. (I am a bunny. My name is Nicholas. I live in a hollow tree.) And honest, I knew that before I found the link. Which also quotes the first three lines. As does the reference in Google. Just think what we could all be doing with the collective brain space occupied throughout civilization by the first three lines of I am a Bunny.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Janet, the book you gave Rachel was The Wuggie Norple Story by Daniel Pinkwater published in 1980 by Four Winds. It was a well-loved book and one of her favorites because it was such fun to say "Wuggie Norple". Check out her blog www.thefightinglibrarian.blogspot.com. She's still into odd books! It's probably all your fault! Ha!
Janet said…
AWESOME! and all this time I'd remembered it as Nuggy Worple. . .I promise to write or call this week. How's the knitting?