The Ninth Pentagon

Yesterday we did more hands-on work and less, drone-like taking of notes during sessions. And while everything that I'm learning this week has been fascinating, smart, insightful, literary and literate, it was good to have a day when I could knit and listen.

And still sightseers of my knitting, but that was during the breaks. I wish that I had a copy of the cover of Vogue Knitting so that I could show off what it will be. Right now, as a long strip of pentagons, it mainly draws "that's beautiful. . .what is it going to be?" comments. I then drape it about my neck, try to dramatize its evolution into a sweater, and not become too tangled up in the ends that had not been darned in as yet.

Prime times for knitting: before and after lunch, when we're brain dead and need some time for questions, discussion, and general relaxation of the brain. Also good for darning in all the trailing pieces that catch me and the working yarn up.

And I'm trying to maintain my faith in the pattern. With each successive pentagon, the piece becomes more and more Huge. I did borrow a tape measure and a calculator from the other knitter in the room. And damn it, my gauge is wrong. Each pentagon has crept up anywhere from a 1/4 to a 1/2 inch. But, the pattern describes the final result as close-fitting, and I want something stylin' but not fitted. In Sanskrit terms, my bhavana, or goal, was a shorter sweater, a bit different, but not too tight. I chose one size up from my chest size to allow for ease, but now, with the incipient growth of each pentagon, am anticipating something gigantic.

Any solace and kind words would be appreciated. To be honest, it's been a very long week, I'm missing home and family, and now the knitting is misbehaving. Another yoga parallel: I'm trying to practice detachment from the final result. I've prepared, I've worked, and now I will see the results of my efforts. It's a continual process: plan, try, learn, plan, try, learn. I'm holding on to the potential for this to be a present for someone, and then I'll redo it for myself in a lighter-weight yarn, perhaps even something for spring.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Janet, the one thing I've read on just about every blog about this garment is that it's way oversized, and that it isn't a snug fit, despite what the photo in VK shows.

I've started swatching for this and because I'm in Australia and double knit weight wool is more common, I decided to knit it in this weight, and scale the needle size up accordingly to give me correct gauge.

I did that for the first pentagon swatch then read the horror stories about sizing, so the next one was scaled down with the correct needle size for dk weight wool.

I cut out pentagons of that size swatch and draped them around my dressmaker's dummy and concluded that seven pentagons will be too large unless I can make them substantially smaller.

For the third test pentagon I'll follow Norah's advice and knit 2 fewer stitches per side and that should scale them down enough to fit.

Don't give up on this garment, it's the most captivating thing I've seen for a long time and I'm very determined to make this unique sweater.

Mine will be a little longer with more pentagons attached at the bottom, and I'll extend the sleeves to full length. The pentagons will be in a range of autumn colours with one main colour for sleeves and collar.

I've also wondered about the wisdom of picking up stitches to complete the next part. Most people I've read about have had problems with this garment and I'm not convinced that making individual pentagons and sewing together might not be smarter; that way you can fill in any odd gaps with a 2/5 or 3/5 pentagon to adjust sizes.

There are many ways of customising this beautiful thing and making it truly unique.

Last year I finished Annie Modesitti's twisted float shrug. It was painstaking but well worth the effort.

Vicki
Janet said…
Thanks, Vicki. I definitely want to revisit this pattern some day. And I agree with not picking up stitches - I think that contributed to the pentagons stretching and making the whole thing even more huge.
I'd love to see yours - maybe you can post a link on a more recent post?