Color Studies in Mitered Square Blanket

Square #2 in process. What I'm quickly learning is that I prefer colors that relate. Maybe I observed them in nature (the purple and green of the first square definitely reminds me of the pansies that I planted last week). Or I see a relation at work: say, the pale pinks and apricot and violet tones of a sunset, or the ice-cream color palette of Sofia Coppola's Marie Antoinette.
I think that the technical term for this is value; in any case, the colors seem to vibrate with the same depth.

But in this square, the colors seem to be fighting. Orange and purple look right to me, and the purple and oatmeal square looked wonderful on its own as I was knitting it. I can live with those two together, though I think, in hindsight, that another neutral color - brown? - would have been a better choice than the beige. But what of this Harry Potter square?

Or a bad cross country uniform? As I was sitting on the sofa, watching poor Tiger Woods let the Masters slip away, I was trying to recall color combinations that I've liked. I remembered back to my kids competing in distance running in high school and college. And I couldn't come up with a single example of any track uniform, from the hours I spent watching high school track competitions, that was pretty, or even appealing. Perhaps the point was high visibility for when the sun went down and the kids were still running around the track in the long distance events.
Here Harry Potter meets Kaffe Fassett.
Hmm, much better here.
Still, the goal is to keep knitting. A light bulb went on earlier today (ah, how slowly the mind doth work): I can knit like crazy, and reshuffle the squares anytime that I care to. So I'm finishing out this square by making a maroon and beige mitered square. Perhaps these four squares will be friends, or perhaps they'll separate and join closer color relations. I sense that I may be an analogous/monochromatic/various tints of the same color kind of mitered square blanket knitter. Yet I'm trying to force myself to go outside of my blue-red-Rowan shades of muted pastels and see what happens.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Janet: Your struggle reminds me of the experience I had working with Amish quilters to re-construct a 1921 Amish quilt but with a color palette from the 21st century. We snail-mailed color swatches back and forth for months and slowly certain blocks emerged. In the end it was necessary to lay the whole quilt, unpieced out on a table and do the final "fitting" by eye. It was a very rewarding process as we talked about what "worked". In the end, the whole thing seems to float above the ground and we've been living together every day happily ever since. It greets us every morning next to the breakfast table and I've never tired of it. Have faith.
Janet said…
thanks for the support. can you email me a picture - I'd love to see it.