Happy Spring Holidays

I'm in Pittsburgh for the first night of Passover, spending some time with my sister and my parents. It's good to be here, but at the same time, such a different experience than being at home. Everything here is busier and noisier and louder and more: more food, more talk, more cooking, more people, many more times of phone ringing. I like it, but it's a bit of a culture shock.

This morning I treated myself to a pedicure. My father drove me over, because the route there was so circuitous that my mother gave up trying to map it. And this place was jumping. Lots of retired ladies getting manicures and pedicures. An elderly gentleman came in to have his fingernails trimmed. An elderly lady came in to have her toes done, sans polish. She pulled on her little white cotton socks and went on her way, having enjoyed the soaking and the pampering. The young woman doing my toes was simultaneously working the phone, juggling appointments, cleaning up, keeping everyone on track, greeting new customers. The whole place was like a finely oiled machine at work. And now I have pretty red toenails again to take me into spring. There's something happy about looking down and seeing bright red toes.

I put the mitered squares aside for the trip and brought along the Swallowtail that I'm trying to finish in Noro Kureyon. Onto the second Lily border, and hoping that the yarn will eke out a finish. Or I'll grab some Blue Sky Alpaca and do a border in a sage green, and that might be even nicer.

It's a busy week. Spring has sprung, and then we have all of the various religious holidays over the next week. Happy Whatever, and take some time to walk outside, see the greenness, and feel the air. I write this from a penthouse apartment with no windows opened, and I'm holding onto the hope of fresh air, for me, at least.

Comments