Peanut Butter and Chocolate

Peanut butter and chocolate. Ice cream and hot fudge sauce. Cheesecake and dark beer. Knitting mitered squares and watching reality TV. There are just some classic pairings that are meant to be.

Sunday night, a square for The Amazing Race. Monday night, another square during Dancing with the Stars. Then, I'm ashamed to admit, I cast on for another square while I allowed myself to watch The Bachelor. The Bachelor, for crying out loud! I hesitate to think of the minutes lost that I'll never get back, yet it's such an intriguing sociological experiment. Why do these girls want to appear on national television in competition for a husband? In any case, it is Good Knitting TV. (And has anyone other than me noticed that the Bachelor does more to suck in his tummy than any of the girls in bikinis?)

I've been watching a lot of television since my operation. At first, it was because the mind just didn't have the energy to do much else. And then, it became a habit. I'm now trying to wean myself away from the vehicle. Last night, I actively turned off American Idol, came into the dining room, and ate my dinner while reading a book on dyeing yarn.

And yes, I know that I've had this food theme going on lately. I think that it's a response to being subjected to hospital food last month. Now all things edible look really good. At work, the snacks in the stock room whisper my name all shift long. Someone brought in leftover Easter candy, and I've been working to convince myself that the jellied candies are lower in calories and healthier than the peanut butter eggs. Yesterday, we sent someone to Trader Joe's with a prize from Thanksgiving. Her mission: find salty, sweet snacks that are not fattening. The result: chocolate covered graham crackers; the Palmiers cookies which I know, from the Jersey shore, as elephant ears; and a bag of Oriental crackers, to satisfy the salty, crunchy requests. Neither non-fattening or necessary, and joining in the siren song of food calling to me.

Comments