Progress on the Mitered Square Blanket

The title of this post? Somewhat ironic, because not much progress is being made. This project is a lot tougher than I'd expected. No wonder Cara calls it Madness.

First square. Lots of ends showing, because that's part of the reality of this project. There will be LOTS of finishing to do: sewing 4 squares together, then sewing the main squares together to form a blanket, then sewing in of all those ends.

And the interesting part of the project - the color - is also the most challenging. I went into this by randomly, sort of, buying yarn that reminded me of a Kaffe Fassett sweater or an Amish quilt. But once I started knitting, the colors reminded me of a bad high school sports uniform. Purple and green? Orange and blue? I keep going back to look at others' blankets for inspiration. The lesson here: just keep going. Don't over think it. Because when I look at the purple squares hanging out together, I do like it. In part, I'm following Kay from Mason-Dixon Knitting's suggestion to pair a "juicy" color with a "blah" color. And I'm also following Cara at January One's rule of a dominant background, sort of. Oh, decisions, decisions. Sitting on a beach is looking really good about now, and this is just my knitting.

Here's square #2. You will observe that I changed my mind after two stripes. Here, again, I felt like I was making a rugby sock for a Division 3 team. But, I'm going to try to focus, and stick with the plan. Minimize over-analyzing it, and push on with the initial idea of the brightness and crazy color combinations of a Fassett piece.
This one is going to be ripped back to the red stripe, and then continued with the orange and red. Then, the plan will be two squares with a juicy/juicy match, and two squares, repeating the juicy contrast colors, with a blah color. Or, something like that.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Try not to overthink it. And looking at the colors in skeins is nothing like knitting it up. I've had combinations that I thought looked a bit HS Jersey-ish and then when knit up things change completely.

I hope you can retain your sanity. Mine is shot to hell. ;-)