The Fifth Square

The Fifth Square.

Slowly, making progress on the Mitered Square Blanket. This is my first real day-off, day off since San Francisco. Lazy. No driving. No errands. Reading the amazing What is the What by the amazing Dave Eggers. My younger daughter and I heard him speak at last year's Printer's Row Book Fair in Chicago. How can you not admire a man whose mission it is to teach young adults to love writing and reading, and who puts a pirate shop in the front if his writing clinic, because the area is zoned for retail and not non-profit? But I digress. Here's the square inspired by the cover of a TV Guide.
I'm sitting in the backyard. Enjoying the sound of water falling into the tiny pond. Watching a squirrel lean way, way over to take a drink, wondering what he'll do if he falls in. Thinking that maybe I could deal with putting feeder goldfish into the tiny pond; when they go belly up, I might not feel so bad. I hate the sight of a dying or dead fish. Well, maybe not.

And perfect iced tea: Rooibush Cherry from Tea Gschwender. Three teaspoons loose tea, brewed in a cup of boiled water, then added to 2 cups of ice cubes. Or, if you prefer the Tea Gschwender person's recipe: 3 Teelemass in a 1/2 liter of water, then add 1 liter of ice cubes. The taste of cherry and almond and cold liquid.



Comments