Not Mitering, You?

I'm in San Francisco for two weeks, attending the first module of my training in yoga therapy. We start at 7 am with a practice and finish at 7:15 pm, after meeting with our study partner. A long day, full of lessons and chanting and stories, lots of stories, and excellent teaching and collegiality and mentoring. It's a very different model than my experience in graduate school. I went to a very tough, very competitive, very cold place; I call it boot camp for grad school. Not that this program is a walk in the park. On the first day, we were told that it would be rigorous, intense, demanding. And San Francisco? Each time I happen to look out in the direction of the water, and see Alcatraz and the Bay and the Golden Gate Bridge, I'm astounded. What would it be like to look at this every day?

I managed to do some knitting in Louisiana, at the integration course for the program. Here, I'm not even attempting it. I'd started a shawl on my flight here, but yoga therapy studies and knitting lace don't play well together in my brain. I was making mistakes in every row, and at row 5 I bailed. I briefly considered trying to knit a hat very very quickly, because it is Cold in San Francisco. Our meeting place is right on the Bay, and the wind seems to whip off the water more vigorously than the cooler-by-the-lake gusts in Chicago. So, no knitting posts for a bit. And I don't have my camera along, so I wouldn't be able to glory in the colors and fabrics anyway.

What I'm going to do now: climb into bed, read, and relax. Ahhh. Learning is exhausting.

Comments