The Sixth Square

The Sixth Square. Stretching for miles and miles, into the distant horizon. Or maybe my bed, someday. Six squares down, many to go.
What I like about this project: seeing how the colors change in relation to others (see how the chartreuse seems more yellow when it's beside the purple, but more green next to the forest green stripes?); no pattern to keep track of or lose my place in; finding ideas for the next square in the most ordinary experiences (so far, a candy bar and the sky and a favorite skirt, and yes, there will be a square based on lingerie, oh, for goodness sake, underwear, because lingerie designers know something about color); being able to finish a square within the time span of my memory (weaving happens so rarely that even with the pattern marked, I have trouble renewing work on a project); when a square is done, it's done, without the dreaded finishing of the sweater period.
And I noticed tonight that the miters look like the tracks of sandpipers on a beach at low tide. I like that, too.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Actually, I would love to see a picture of what inspires all of the combinations. I know you've done a few but I think it's fun to see where the inspiration comes from.
Janet said…
will do, once the camera comes home.