Vindicated!

"Though it flies in the face of almost universally accepted wisdom, moderately disorganized people, institutions and systems frequently turn out to be more efficient, more resilient, more creative, and in general more effective than highly organized ones."

Thank you, Eric Abrahamson and David H. Freedman, authors of A Perfect Mess: The Hidden Benefits of Disorder. As someone who would love to hire an employee whose full-time job is remembering where I put things that I can't find, I find hope in this statement. Even if they tried to hedge their bets with the back-peddling conditional "moderately disorganized."

It's gonna be hard to retire my favorite quotation (the first line of Anna Karenina: "Happy families are all alike; every unhappy family is unhappy in its own way" ), but I'm not sure that it would it be overkill to put the new quote over my desk and in my car and on my bathroom mirror and in the garden and the store and the living room and every other place in the universe where I've lost things.

Comments