More dishcloths

It continues. Just came back from the store with four more colors of Sugar and Cream. At $1.49 each. Using our practice of comparing all unneccessary consumables to the price of a latte at Starbuck's, that's far less than a Grande.
The variegated was calling to me, including the odd one at the left foreground below, with pale green and beige and white. The right-hand skein screams "Fiesta" or maybe "Carnivale," and the two at the back say something about water and beaches.
I did have some yarn at home that I could have used for the last few washcloths, but I tried three different patterns today with the bright yellow and couldn't motivate myself to finish. The variegated yarn is much more fun, and easier on the eyes. The Ipod in the picture is a necessary instrument to making dishcloths; they use relatively so much less of your brain that you can actually concentrate on two things at once.
Here's a closeup of the Travelling Vine Cloth from Smariek Knits. I'm thinking that the pattern, from Barbara Walker's first book (page 219), would be a beautiful design for a lace shawl. It reminds me of the Lily portion of the Swallowtail Shawl. Perhaps I can start with Thistle Lace (from Walker's second book, the one that disappeared between my house and the yoga studio) and then transition into the Vine pattern?
Dishcloth/washcloth posed on sink.
I'm trying to wean myself away from Travelling Vine and Vine Lace to try something new. I've not been a big fan of garter stitch, but if I'm going to make dishcloths, how can I not at least try a pattern from Mason-Dixon Knitting?

Comments