Not So Baby Cable Rib Socks

A good, solid, reassuring sock in an easy-to-work pattern.

Pattern: Baby Cable Rib Socks (modified pattern: make cable every seventh row)
Designer: Charlene Schurch
Source: Sensational Knitted Socks

Yarn: Cascade 220 Superwash, color 862 (about 1 1/2 skeins or 400 yards)

Needles: size 2 40" KnitPicks circular with nickel-plated tips

Gauge: 7 stitches to the inch

Modifications to original pattern: lengthened knit sections between cable stitch to create a huskier fabric; worked Joan's Favorite Toe to create a rounded rather than pointy toeI knit a longer leg than on the previous socks made for my husband. These are nine inches from cuff to heel, which seemed huge to me, but he (who likes ragg hiking socks and SmartWool and the REI version of Smartwool) says that they're just right. This is a machine-washable wool without nylon content. However, all of the ribbing and cabling create a spongy, resilient feel to the fabric and I think that they'll hold up just fine.

And with focus, these go fast. On Sunday, I sat still and knitted for 45 minutes, then knit in the car on the way to see Caroline, or Change, and had most of the foot completed. Amazing what you can accomplish when you focus. . .even with my mind telling me, over and over, that there were a million other things to do, and me replying "nope. gotta sit still and finish the sock so that I can have the needles back for another project."

Comments

joan said…
Lovely! You've become quite the sock knitter.
Hannah said…
I see Parker toes!