Little Lace Shrug

Men do not understand shrugs. They are an odd animal (shrugs, I mean). Sleeves and a wisp of something behind the back. But honestly, this did keep me warm during the speeches at the Freedom to Read benefit.
Pattern: Little Lace Shrug
Designer: Pam Allen
Source: LaceStyle
Yarn: Brooks Farm Solo Silk, 1 skein (400 yds., with some leftover). Brilliant yarn, brilliant company. Lovely to work with - it has the softness of Malabrigo and the sturdiness of Cascade 220. Great for lace or garter stitch or what have you. (And I just bought a skein of Solo Silk and a skein of Acero at the Midwest Fiber and Folk Art Fair, after much pondering of colorways and fiber mixtures. Pictures soon.)
Needles: size 5 Addi Turbo circ for edging, size 6 Addi Turbo circ for body
Size: Small
Modifications: I used a sportweight yarn instead of the worsted weight La Lana used in the original pattern. And I worked a 3 1/2" seam on each arm instead of the 2" called for. The result was a size Small shrug. If you want something larger, stick with the pattern specs. And attend to the instructions to only pick up 2 stitches for every 3; I deviated and the shrug is a bit floppy at the back instead of fitted.
And more brilliance: the store where I bought my dress sells ballroom dancing shoes! Heels that are about as comfortable as it gets. I managed to walk from the parking garage several blocks to the Art Institute, walked through several galleries, sat a bit, and walked back to the car, feeling pretty spiffy. Here they are:




Comments