This Time I'm Getting the Kid's Mitten Clips!

My second pair of Fiddlehead Mittens. Much to my sorrow, I lost one of the first, beautiful mittens at the movie theater. I curse my bad luck, and the fact that I had made an I-cord - a semi-adult version of those strings that baby mittens are attached to, so that they can snake through the sleeves of the bunting and not get lost. Then, feeling that it was cumbersome, I cut off the I-cord and somehow lost one somewhere between the front door of the multiplex and exiting from Avatar.
I'm knitting the outer shell of this pair from Jamieson's 2-ply Jumper weight. And the colorway is in debt to my friend, who came with me to the knitting shop, found a copy of Ann Feitelson's The Art of Fair-Isle Knitting, and sat with me on the floor, hunting through what seemed like hundreds of tiny skeins until we found those that matched Feitleson's extremely helpful illustrations of different approaches to color. Unlike other books, she uses actual yarn swatches to illustrate how complementary or analogous colors work together; you choose the swatch and then try to find yarn that echoes her choices.
If anyone knows of a source for those mitten clips that one used to use to attach mittens right to the coat sleeve (maybe they disappeared with 50s tv shows and aprons), please let me know. Otherwise, I'll be hunting them up on the Internet. And if you see my missing mitten, please send it home.

Comments