Komi Mittens

My most recent knitting: another pair of Komi Mittens from Charlene Schurch's wonderful book, Mostly Mittens.

This pair is being knit in Cascade Pastaza, a somewhat fuzzy, halo-ish blend of wool and llama. I've adapted the chart in the book to accomodate far fewer stitches, including truncating the cross panel on the palm. I wear a size 7 1/2 glove; I'm making these with 32 stiches on the corrugated ribbing, 40 stitches on the hand, and 16 stitches on the thumb gusset. You may want to go a little larger if you want room to add a lining, as in Latvian mittens. But this yarn is already super warm, and since I'm winging this pair, I won't have room for a lining.

I'm trying to work through this pattern so that I can figure out the specs for a size Medium. My sister and I are going to do a long-distance knitalong, and I want to graph the pattern for her to minimize the number of new techniques that the project will ask for.

In other news, my very large dog is so cowed by my small cat that last night, when the cat came out onto the stairs to survey the living room below, the dog walked over to the television and pretended to be starting deeply into it, thus to avoid any eye contact with the Very Scary Cat.

Comments