Decorating Bifurcation

I have this decorating schizophrenia, in which I both love very quiet, white-slipcovered, Martha Stewart-ish palettes like this and very happy, colorful looks like this.

Which is making it very hard to choose fabric for slipcovering the living room.

Here's what I came out of the amazing Textile Discount Outlet with:
Lots of color. I'm embarrassed to admit that I was influenced by a background in an episode of The Bachelor: Emily's Southern home, with lots of khaki and mint green and that old-fashioned yet comfortable yet elegant look of a Southern home. But sheesh, I live in the Midwest, and I'm not elegant. We use our house - feet on the furniture, sometimes dinner on the couch.
I blame it partly on being drunk on fabric. This store is incredible: huge, in an old factory building, prices that cannot be believed ($4.95 a yard for 60-inch wide upholstery fabric), stuff in every corner, and messy enough to feel like a quest but organized enough to be enjoyable. I first chose fabric in red ticking and red floral print, but there wasn't enough on the bolt. Then I went with my second choices: these bright greens and yellows and pinks. Now, I'm not so sure.

Here's another choice, this a sample from Calico Corners. Still colorful, but a bit more muted:
I was planning to do the two chairs in a green ticking, then either do the couch in this fabric, or do large throw pillows to give the room a bit of Anthropologie-kick.

See what I mean? Who am I? And by Monday, when the slipcover people arrive (I tried for two days to make slipcovers myself, and I'm willing to yield now to the experts), what will the fabric decision be?

Comments