Progress on Norah Gaughan's Cabled Bolero, or The Seventh Pentagon

Here she be. Draped in a shape roughly analagous to where the pentagons will fall once this turns from a long strip of shapes into a sweater. Where the end and the knitting needles meet: the front of the sweater.

Still looks very large to me. But I studied the picture of Gaughan's Bolero on the cover of the issue of Vogue Knitting, and it looks, to this still-new knitter, as if it will work. I'm enjoying the process of. . . Wait, did I just say that? But I am. It's surprising how satisfying little things like remembering the pattern, easily finding your place when you lose it, undoing mistakes with a minimum of brain effort and ripping back (this yarn just holds the stitches until you take them apart or pick them up again), and seeing progress can be.

Even the little details are satisfying. Here's a photo of the wrong side of two pentagons, showing the join where I picked up stitches on one side to make the second pentagon.
And here's the right side of the garment.


The joins are almost indetectable, just a little dip in the fabric where the two pieces come together. And if you are as lucky as I've been, you'll just fall into picking up stitches along the side of the previous pentagon so that the cable and the purls and edge stitches line up. I didn't even notice that thus was happening until about the fifth pentagon, when I observed that some of the knits were bumping into the purls of the next-door pentagon. Easy and lucky can be satisfying, no matter what our moms told us.

Comments